Friday, October 2

Changes

When friends break up it really makes you stop and take a look at your own relationship. I'm sad when couples break up, especially those that have been together for years, but I'm happy because when they do, and when J and I take a look at our relationship, we decide all over again that we're perfect for each other.

Last week, J went out drinking with a friend who had recently ended a 3+ year relationship. J got home and plopped down on the bed and told me everything. He couldn't stop talking, partially because of the crazy stories and partially because of the beer he had consumed. In between stories of this couple he was saying how much he likes me and how happy he is with us. It was nice.

Breakups are scary now that we're older. It's not as easy as getting dumped in high school where the worst thing you have to worry about is having English class with your ex. Now it's all about lawyers and money and splitting up all the things you purchased together, figuring out which of your mutual friends will stick with you, and eventually carving out a new life on your own. It's even worse if pets or kids are involved.

I don't envy anybody who's had to go through this. I'm lucky to have had my last breakup be of the high school variety. I was young and the one doing the dumping. That was a long time ago and I didn't have to worry about any "adult" problems. Now I'm content with my life and happy to be reminded of that every now and then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It definitely isn't easy to break up, the older we get - but it's usually for the best if it gets to the point that you're even considering it. I think it's great that you wrote this because it provides a solid example of what individuals SHOULD be looking for (and not willing to accept less than) - you two definitely have a great thing going :)

Captain Underpants said...

You know, I experienced this recently as well...a couple we know and really like broke up. It's always sad. I think the main factor in this one was alcohol, which is heartbreaking because you could see the love these people had for each other.

I love seeing happy people. Glad you're one of them :-)

shelley said...

It is surprising how many break-ups (and divorce...!) we are seeing lately. But if it means that both individuals can be happier than I support any friends that have to go through it. Life is too short to be miserable.

I'm also glad that both of you (Underpants and Batman) are some of the happy couples we know. :)