Saturday, May 27

i won!

so i ran in my second race. this year i did the 10K (last year the 5K, remember?) and was happy with my effort.

i had some goals going into this race, and i know i've written these before but i can't find the post so here they are again:
1) finish the race
2) run the whole thing - no walking
3) i'm sure i had a third goal but i can't remember it

i definitely finished the race and i only stopped once to tie my shoelace. when i went across the finish line 1:03:?? was showing. that's the time since the start start, but it took me some time to get to the start line so when the results come out in the paper monday i'll check my chip time (which is the actual time it took me to complete the race - my guess: an hour even).

here's a picture of me right near the end:



j and i had set up a meeting place (definitely key when there are 7000 runners in your race) so i had no trouble finding him. and then we went home. kind of anticlimatic, but i feel good. i'm sore in all sorts of new places. i even have blisters where i never get blisters.

but i'm on that runner's high (could be the alcohol i've consumed) and am looking forward to my next race. can she do a half-marathon? stay tuned.....

oh, and tomorrow i'm volunteering all day at the marathon, just like last year. i'm looking forward to it, but not to the early start. i'm sure i'll post tomorrow of monday and tell you all about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Talk about consistent performance too... didn't you say that in training you took an hour and 3 minutes? How are you able to pace yourself so well... I always speed up on race day. A lot.

By the way, kudos to J for the picture - I like it. It doesn't look like you're at the end of a 10k there and it looks like you're really moving.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

thank you both!

alan, it's less about pacing myself than pushing myself until my legs are jello both in the race and in training. there is no me-going-faster than that. if i could have run faster i would have!

the picture was taken as a series (there are about 7 or 8 and you can flip through them and see me run by - really neat) about a kilometer from the end of the finish line.