Saturday, February 21

New job on the horizon

Before my current job, I had only been in the same job for 9 months. Once I hit a year (July 2007) I started feeling restless, like I needed to find something new. Over the last year and a half, I've felt the same restless feeling off and on.

And then came the new boss. He started in November and seems like a nice guy at first. And then he tells you that you aren't doing a good job and that things have to change. Maybe he was unaware that my little group of 5, who are responsible for coordinating upwards of 800 submissions for pest control products (you can't just call them pesticides) in the agency, had been functioning for over a year without a manager and functioning quite well. We receive praise and pats on the back for a job well done. We do our job and we do it well.

Mr. NewBoss has all sorts of lofty ideas, which isn't a bad thing in itself, but when you first come to manage a group, take some time to observe how they work, how the work gets done.

Anyways, Mr. NewBoss basically kicked me into gear and made my search for a new job take on a new urgency. I enlisted the help of some friends and found myself something good. I spoke with my potential new manager and decided after much back and forth that this would be a good thing. I told them I was interested and they said they'd love to have me. The ball is now rolling and soon enough I will have this new job.

With this in mind, I'm getting much more work done. I have the motivation to not leave my portion of the 800 subs in disarray. Nothing is set in stone yet, but come April I should be onto new things.

Yet another change in my life. A good change.

No comments: