Friday, September 11

B-Day!

B-Day has come and baby J is here! I don't have much time for the internet or to post, but we seem to be doing better than I expected we would. J has been just incredible - first throughout the whole labour and delivery and now with the baby. I don't know what I would have done without him or what I would be doing now.

Labour was absolute hell. I can say that now because it's over. I survived but I'm not sure I'll ever forget the pain. It was quick and intense and drug-free. My muscles were on the verge of complete exhaustion and I was an emotional wreck but from the moment my water broke to the moment I had baby J on my chest was 23 hours. And only 13 of that I was in labour, 4 hours in the hospital. I have never felt anything so powerful and raw. Every now and then, I look at baby J and shake my head - I can't believe I did that. That we did that.

He's the cutest little thing. Well, bigger than I was expecting at 7 pounds 10 ounces at birth, but still so small. He's a super sleeper but not a champion eater. We're getting help from the midwives with feeding and have been trying to get him to latch without much success. J is feeding him expressed milk while I pump for the next time. Hello professional milk pumper, aka cow. Not the nicest feeling, but necessary.

We were worried about how Sandy would react and she was a little freaked at first, but she's slowly getting used to him. She's not fond of his startle reflex (quick movement) or when he cries and cries. She actually yells and yells, like saying "hey, he's crying! Do something!"

We're slowly settling into our new life, our new little family. And I'm getting used to my new body.. it's a neat thing. Pictures will be up soon on Picasa, one is already on Facebook so go have a look.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's amazing you're already back up and at 'em! And the difference a week can make. You're awesome :) xoxo

Captain Underpants said...

Hey! That's awesome (baby!) and terrifying (overwhelming pain for a whole day) to hear!

Congratulations chick.

Sue said...

You're amazing - I'm sure it helped that you were already in such good physical shape before and during your pregnancy.

Pictures - soon!!

Hannah said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to photos of Baby J. :)