Thursday, September 24

Flying by

Somehow the days are flying by. I don't quite understand it because I'm not doing a whole lot. I sleep when I can, I feel like most of my awake time is spent feeding my boy, and then it's tomorrow. It can be a little depressing.

Being pregnant and being a new parent is strange. You don't feel like yourself: your body is doing things that you never imagined and your emotions and hormones are going wild. It can be so overwhelming. I look down at my little guy I just spent an hour feeding only to realize I would be doing it again in two hours. And three hours after that. Sometimes I feel trapped. But then I remember that I signed up for this and man, he's cute.

Where was I? Right, the passing of time. It's true - the days are going by too quickly. J's birthday was last week and was probably the saddest birthday he's had in a while. He hardly slept the night before and there were no celebrations on the actual day. I'm hoping we made up for it by having S&L&R and A&S over for dinner and cake and then having a birthday dinner with his family. J, I'm sorry your birthday got overshadowed.

The dinner with his family was the first time we'd left the house for more than two hours. It required a couple of diaper changes and a feeding outside the house, or "in the wild" as J likes to say. Apart from all the screaming, both went rather well. Soon, I won't hesitate to go wherever, but for now, baby steps.

All of a sudden Baby J is two weeks old and we're taking him to the midwives office. I got the go ahead to start light exercise - yoga or pilates and walking. And he's healthy and has gained more weight - he's somewhere between 8 pounds 4.5 ounces and 7 ounces - and he passed his hearing test. He managed to pee all over J while we were there, but that's nothing compared to what he did last week. I was in the bathroom when I hear either laughing or sobbing coming from the nursery. I run in to see J holding the kid upright while he's peeing everywhere. Everywhere. J's laughing and I'm laughing and the kid is crying. Fun times.

I went out by myself for the first time the other day. That was my first mistake. A new mom should not go anywhere without her baby. When I got to the cash, the cashier said "You aren't pregnant, are you?" No lady, my baby's at home. "Oh," she said, "I didn't think you were but you're wearing maternity jeans." Truth is I'm hesitant to try on anything but mat clothes because I don't think they'll fit yet. I don't need that. She then went on to tell me that some store has great pants that don't have buttons or zippers. Thanks, but I'll stick with my mat pants. I already own them. And since the days are flying by, I'll soon be back down to my pre-pregnancy weight anyways.

1 comment:

Captain Underpants said...

So wait, who was it that was doing all that screaming on your outing?

Thanks for the update, it's always great to hear from you.