Sunday, May 10

Mother's Day

Being pregnant has given me a new perspective on Mother's Day. We all know what the day is meant to be and that hasn't changed, but now that I feel like I'm on the brink, I'm close to being celebrated today, along with all the millions of other woman who have children, and my attitude has somewhat changed.

I do not feel like those who are pregnant deserve to be celebrated today, no matter how many I know who have received Mother's Day cards. Pregnant woman are celebrated enough: I can't get through a single conversation in which my "state" doesn't come up. Not that I mind: this is my job. For 9 months I am primarily growing new life. But the closest I've been to being a mother is taking care of my cat and she's pretty independent.

No, real mothers, whether their children are young or old, at home or have left the nest, biological or adopted, real mothers have put in some serious time. They deserve today to celebrate the fact that they made it as far as they have.

Growing up, my brother and I were well behaved, for the most part. We tended to get in trouble together and make up while in our separate rooms and come down before the time-out was up. We fought more when we hit puberty: my friends were more interested in seeing my brother. Unfortunately, my brother's friends showed no interest in me, at least that I knew of then or have ever heard of. What a hit to the ego. I don't know how many time I frustratedly told my friends, "No, we can't play at my house today."

My brother and I started doing what teenagers do and surely gave my parents heart attacks on a weekly basis. We played competitive sports and were constantly injured, we started going to parties and were constantly not home on time or even until the next morning. We went away to university and got into trouble with regular university student stuff. We had serious and not-so-serious relationships.

Somehow we made it out okay and somehow our parents still cheer us on.

Whether you consider this a "hallmark holiday" or not, I hope you agree that moms deserve to be celebrated in some way. J and I celebrated mother's day by seeing my parents. We gave my mom a card and a book and hung out for a while. On the way home, we dropped off a card for J's grandmother and at night we had J's parents and sister over for dinner. It was definitely a family day.

I'll save mother's day celebrations for myself for next year, when I really deserve it.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Sounds like you had a great Mothers Day and hopefully will continue to have wonderful ones after your baby is born.:)