Wednesday, May 20

Midwifery

I didn't want to post about the topic until I was sure, but today we officially chose to have our primary care giver for the rest of the pregnancy be a midwife instead of an OB/GYN. About 6 weeks ago, my GP, who I had been seeing monthly (which is standard practice), referred me to an OB. J and I were able to choose the OB and booked our first appointment.

Around that same time, I decided to look more seriously into midwifery. I heard it was good for low-risk pregnancies with very personal care and attention, less instance of drug relief during labour, shorter labours, shorter hospital stays, etc. I called around and was put on the waiting list for the two main midwiferies in the area. I was told that the chances of a spot opening up were slim.

The week before our first appointment with the OB, I was called by both groups and offered a spot. I was thrilled but cautiously so. There were so many unknowns and I didn't want to get my hopes up until meeting with the midwife.

I chose to meet with a midwife from the group closer to the hospital and had that appointment today. J and I left work early and met with a midwife and a student. After listening to the overview of midwifery, J and I decided it was definitely for us and officially signed up.

We will meet with two midwives and one student for the rest of the pregnancy. All three will be present at the birth and are always on-call in case of emergencies. We are very pleased. Thigns seem to be falling into place.

2 comments:

Sylverrr said...

Yay!!

Captain Underpants said...

Nice Batman, glad you got a spot!