Monday, May 18

A runner no more

I went out yesterday to run at least 4K before the race next weekend. It didn't go well. Let's just say that I am no longer able to run. My body will not let me and with only Tylenol to soothe the pain, I will not be pushing it.

I never expected this and am quite frustrated with my body. In my mind, I was going to be the perfect little pregger who exercised and stayed fit her entire pregnancy, popped out a beautiful baby and quickly went back to her former self. It's not going that way and it's disappointing.

It's especially hard to re-align my mindset: it's OKAY that I can't run anymore. It's OKAY if I nap instead of exercising. I have to remember my main goal here is to have a healthy baby. I'll have time after all this is done to reclaim my body, to do the things I want to do.

So please, if you can do one thing, go and get some exercise. Do it for the people who want to but can't do it themselves. Run because you can.

2 comments:

Captain Underpants said...

I agree to bike because I can, good enough deal? Running's never been my thing.

Sorry the running's not working out. Is it still your leg that bugs?

Take it easy :-)

Sue said...

Have you thought about a preggers yoga class? There are two at the body/mind center that I go to and the classes are always full. They always sound like they're having a blast.

Also, it keeps all those muscles nice and stretched out and active until you're ready to run again.