Sunday, July 12

Anniversary post... 3 days late

I'm three days late posting about our anniversary. Three days. I was considering mucking with the posting date but I don't want to lie. So here it is. Three days late, but better late than never.

FIVE YEARS! Five years is a long time in that when people find out I've been married for that long they ask how old I am. Hey, I got married young! But at the same time, the time has flown by. We've been together almost 8 and all 8 years have flown by. That is a good indication that we're doing something right. I'm not religious and hardly even superstitious, but maybe this was meant to be.

I've been thinking about this post for a couple of weeks and tried to come up with lists of 5 things. It was harder than I thought it would be so all I have is a list of five of my favourite things J and I have done together.

5. Before we started dating, we stayed up one night at a cottage party, talking the whole time. We were lying on a bench on the screened-in deck, enjoying every moment together. Suddenly we realized the sun was about to make its appearance. In all my wisdom, and without the effects of alcohol that had worn off hours previously, I said, "You're supposed to watch the sun rise with the person you love." How prophetic that turned out to be. (August 2001)

4. Lived apart for 3 years - J in town and me at school. It was less than a 2-hour drive and believe me, we both got to know that drive well. We spent a lot of time traveling between the two cities, a lot of time on the phone and a lot of time chatting (ICQ at the time, and thanks to that I can type pretty quickly). We got to know each other well across the distance and every time we saw each other was better than the last. Building a relationship long distance was tough but it's our relationship. (September 2001 - April 2004)

3. Getting cats. Right after we got married we bought two little cats. We picked them up on Boxing Day and our lives were changed. Even though we're down to one, I wouldn't change it for the world.

2. Getting the Mazda 3. This may be surprising, that getting a car is one of the best things we've done together but it's true. It was the first new car either of us had purchased, it was our biggest purchase together at the time, and it started a lot of things. J got very involved in the Mazda community in town and we met a lot of great people that way. He turboed the car and while doing so learned a lot. I loved that car.

1. Traveling. This isn't a one time event, this is my number 1 because of all the traveling we've done together over the years and everything we've been through because of our trips. We went to Victoria, BC three times, Costa Rica, Germany and Italy, Cuba and Mexico. We also have taken road trips to Toronto, the cottage, Niagara Falls, Montreal and Quebec City. Traveling is always an adventure. You get to see how people act when under pressure (do not make J late for anything in an airport!) and see just how cranky they get after being awake for almost 40 hours. Through everything - the good, the bad, the sometimes ugly and sometimes scary - I know there is no one I would rather travel with.

And that brings me to the end of my post. J is the person I am lucky to spend my life with. There is no one I would rather at my side during everything and anything coming my way. He is my cheerleader, my supporter, my best friend. I couldn't ask for anything more.



Through the years:

2004 - the year we got married
2005 - our first anniversary
2006 - 2 years
2007 - 3
2008 - 4

2 comments:

Captain Underpants said...

Hey congratulations!

I always thought it should be that years together are counted, and not have to start at zero again after you marry...a bit of a rip off for those of us who date a little longer ;-) Heh. It just means we have to work that much harder to get that 50th anniversary letter from [whichever government/royal dignitary does that milestone].

I love that you're part of a great team. Have a great week!

Hannah said...

Congratulations! Reading some of your stories made me go "awww!"
In terms of #3, when I first started dating my husband, I also fell in love with his cat-Sasha. She was kinda crazy and VERY loud (We suspected she was deaf), but I loved her and in a way, she sort of adopted 'me' into their home. Our love for his funny cat definitely helped to further cement our relationship.:)