Tuesday, January 22

Exclamations Mandatory!

I was just reading my last post so I know where I left off, something I always do. Anyways, the point is that I noticed my last three posts have all had an exclamation point in the title. That's not exactly my style, but obviously I have things to be excited about. I guess that's a good thing.

Yesterday, in one of the free daily papers, I read that January 24th is the most depressing day of the year. Something to do with the winter blues/blahs, the fact that you get your credit card bill in the mail with all your Christmas purchases on it, and other things. Poo! It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to, but I will disagree with anyone who says that it's the most depressing day of the year.

I'm also, for the most part, an optimist, so I would be able to look on the bright side of things. And yes, I do have credit card debt this time of year, and yes, I am getting mighty sick of all the gray I see outside BUT I have a good life so I'm happy. Plus, January 24th is the first day of the three quarters of the year that I am a year older than J. He loves that.

We watched neat show about hearing and music. There are people who do not hear music. Music to them sounds like pounding. I can't remember exactly how the person they interviewed described it but it sounded unpleasant. I read earlier that people can become addicted to music, even mega loud music, even if it physically hurts them to listen to it. I think I'm addicted to music, but not loud music. It's weird for our house to be silent - there is usually at least one radio on. We have music in the car and I always have my iPod with me.

The way my job is going these days, I don't use my iPod at work. People are constantly stopping by my cubicle so I never have five minutes to myself. You know what I do? I sing. Not loudly, but out loud usually. I work better when there's music playing. I fall asleep to music. It's everywhere.

But then there are people who never have music playing. Friends of mine, their house is absolutely silent, even though I know they are musical people. I notice when I'm over there and I wonder if they notice the sound when they come to my house.

I wonder if music-addicts are attracted to people like themselves or to silence-addicts. I wonder if that even factors into the whole courting thing. Is it an introvert/extrovert thing? That's something the show never once mentioned. I'm always curious about the introvert/extrovert thing because I don't know which I am. For me it really depends on the situation, but in a course I took recently I learned that it has to do with where you "get your energy" which I don't get, and your internal stimulus level (whether you have lots going on in your head or if you need your environment to be highly stimulating). Interesting stuff, but I can't apply it to myself. At least not now.

So whatever kind of 'vert I am, I'm one that needs music. Music and my depressing birthday I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally read that article about your depressing birthdate and I thought... they obviously never asked you what you thought about it. I mean, you've got a whole birthday week going for goodness sake, that can't be depressing!

The music show sounds interesting - although the pounding bit is confusing. Guess you had to see the show. I definitely agree with background music being addictive and I am not an 'addict'. Don't know why - I like music - but too often it interferes with whatever I'm doing. Strange, because I always considered myself a good multitasker but when there is music in the background I struggle. I think it's because my ears want to listen to the music and my brain is busy thinking about other unrelated things so they start bickering. TV is even worse. If the tv is on, I watch it. Even if it's the worst show in the world it makes me 50% slower at whatever I'm doing because I am constantly catching myself staring blankly at the screen. Annoying!

Anonymous said...

Hi, do you happen to know where you read about the being addicted to super loud music? I know this jerk who loves insanely loud music and he plays it pretty much non-stop when he's home. Obviously if it's loud for me, being a floor above him, it's gotta be crazy loud for him. Like I can hear the lyrics perfectly fine.