Saturday, February 9

February - The Most Depressing Month

My apologies if your birthday is in February. I took exception to January 24th being called the most depressing day of the year but that's because it's my birthday and so I have something to brighten it up. For me, February is the hard time. It's gray and cold outside and there are no holidays in sight.

I had a particularly rough day at work yesterday for reasons I don't want to discuss. People took one look at me and knew something was bothering me. I didn't realize I was so transparent. My reasons weren't for their ears either so I made up some story about it being a long week - it being Friday, people accepted that. And it was a long week.

But January was a long month and now that January's done I was able to take a day off. Thank goodness for paid sick days. Tuesday I took off as a mental health day and I slept in. For me, sleeping in is incredible. I also had some retail therapy and hardly spent any money so it was perfect. Highs from shopping last only so long though and yesterday was a low day.

I was sitting at my desk, feeling sorry for myself, and I decided that I needed to get out. Get some exercise I mean. I kept true to myself and went for a run after work. I ran outside in the cold and the gray and the snow, but it felt great. I didn't go far or for a long time, but it was exactly what I needed.

Now if only I could take all of my frustrations out on my body (in an exercise way, not in a cutting myself way) I would be set. I think I can do that, but I think I need a little motivation. I'm thinking of signing up for the race in May again to give myself that extra push. I wonder if I could do the half marathon and not hurt myself like last year. Time will tell.

For now, I will get through every day the way I always do and hope that my SAD-like days don't last long. At least February is a short month and who knows what March will bring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is week 2 of Feb. shaping up so far? Or should I not ask?

At least the cold weather makes you feel alive! Of course that only lasts for a split second and then you feel like you're dying but that's beside the point isn't it...

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were just mentioning how we feel down! Its common and I believe the combination of indoor heat, gray and white patterns - only - in the landscape, the loss of track of time and finally, the fact that most of the natural world is dormant or migrated contributes to what we know as depression. Don't cut yourself to feel something, for sure. Did you know that scientists beleive that ancient man in the northern climates slept away almost 80% of the winter? The modern world is very adverse to natural high and low times. I know it must sound funny, but our forefathers have been figuring out how to endure winter forever.

Spring is almost here and everything will be bursting, you'll see. Take care, and remember we all feel as you do.